- Mindfulness: taking a mindful walk can help you find many things to be grateful for. Head to your local park, hiking trail, or city street to take a long and mindful walk. As your stroll, pay attention to the things around you. What do you love about this area? What do you appreciate about being able to be there?
- Gratitude Journaling: right when you wake up and right before you go to sleep, write down five things you’re grateful for right away. Within just a few days, you’ll find you have way more than five things to write about.
- Share Your Gratitude With Others: Misery loves company, but so does gratitude! Share what you’re grateful for with others through a group text, an email, or by going out with friends. The more you verbalize your gratitude the more they will be encouraged to do so.
- Get Humble: sometimes we need a serious perspective shift to remind us of how grateful we are for our lives. Volunteering with the needy, spending time in different areas, and giving back are always a great reminder.
- Be Appreciative: Do you appreciate every bite of food you take or every sip of water? Being appreciative can help you be more grateful. We often fall into the trap of expectations because things can become so normal in life. Nothing is guaranteed to stay the same.
- Live In The Present: when we’re anxious about the future or ruminating about the past, it can be difficult to find gratitude for the present. Mindfulness and meditation and help you connect to the here and now.
- Remember, You’re Recovering: it’s easy to say we should be grateful every day that we are sober, but that isn’t realistic. What we can be grateful for is that we are recovering. Each day is full of ups and downs, but experiencing all of that wouldn’t be possible if we were still drinking and using.
Aurora Recovery centre is focused on helping people find a balance of health in mind, body, and spirit, when recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. We know the path can be dark. Let us be the light on your walk to recovery. 844-515-STOP